Technology at Metcalf Elementary School provides innovative ways to reach and teach students. All classrooms are equipped with a smartboard, document camera, and class set of Chrome Books. Teachers utilize these tools to enhance learning and provide opportunities to instruct students to prepare them for the future.
Programs used to enhance curriculum at Metcalf Elementary School.
• Accelerated Reader (AR) is a program that is used to motivate students to read. It is also a useful tool for teachers and parents to use to diagnose potential reading successes and difficulties. Students read AR books based on their individual reading levels and take comprehension tests on the computer. It gives an accuracy level for comprehension and motivates students who don’t always enjoy reading and encourages students who do love reading.
• BrainPOP/BrainPOP Jr. is a group of over 1,000 short animated movies for students. In addition, quizzes and related materials, covering the subjects of science, social studies, English, mathematics, engineering and technology, health, and arts and music are included
• IXL Math is a website where users can practice math problems. Questions are administered one at a time, in a fun and interactive environment. Users are notified if they are right or wrong immediately after submitting an answer.
• Learning.com is a learning platform that focuses on preparing students with a digital literacy skills.
• Raz-Kids is an on-line reading program for classroom/home is utilized by 1st – 4th grade students to increase reading fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary skills. Student progress is monitored and instruction is differentiated based on student’s reading levels.